Friday, August 14, 2009

Taiwan Typhoon and Tzu Chi

I have been anxiously watching the news from Taiwan -- where I have immediate family, many close friends, and where I occasionally reside -- and it is disturbing, to say the least. The typhoon has left so much devastation in its wake. We missed this one by a hair, changing travel plans at the last minute (blissfully ignorant of the weather).

It is of course a relief to know that the Tzu Chi Foundation is on the job -- they have in fact mobilized over 10,000 Buddhist volunteers, many of whom are working 24 hours a day. If you are not already familiar with Tzu Chi, I suggest you either click the link, above, or read some of the many news stories that detail their efforts.

Master Cheng Yen, Founder of Tzu Chi:
I believe she is a direct manifestation of Tara

You know... in the West, we hear a lot about "engaged Buddhism," but we've never really managed to pull it off. My own experience with Tzu Chi has left me with an indelible impression of engaged Buddhism in its finest expression. To my mind, they are the one Buddhist charitable organization in the world that really, really delivers the goods.

I encourage you to take a moment and visit their website, and ask you to please give a prayer for the people in Taiwan who have suffered through the storm.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 reader comments: