Thursday, December 03, 2009

No Matter Where You Stay



To bear mistreatment from our enemies is the best form of austerity,
But those who hate criticism and are attached to compliments,
Who take great pains to discover all the faults of others,
While failing to keep proper guard over their own mindstream,
And who are always irritable and short-tempered,
Are certain to bring breakages of samaya upon all their associates,
So rely constantly on mindfulness, vigilance and conscientiousness.

 No matter where you stay—be it a busy place or a solitary retreat—
The only things that you need to conquer are mind’s five poisons
And your own true enemies, the eight wordly concerns, nothing else,
Whether it is by avoiding, transforming, taking them as the path or looking into their very essence,
Whichever method is best suited to your own capacity.

 -- Kyabje Chatral Rinpoche

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 reader comments:

Anonymous said...

Would it work if I had a Buddhist boss and I waved this post at him every time I did something stupid, even if on purpose, and get away with it ? If I did stupid things that affect my Buddhist friends, would it help to wave this post at them, to shut them up , make them accept it, and let me get away with it each time ?

Rolf said...

This kind of advice is meant to be taken to heart personally and perfected before you go waving it in others' faces.
If all you are looking for are means to get away with bad behaviour, I think you might want to consider another religion where you can be bad all your life as long as you repent on your death bed. However, I have my doubts as to the guarantee this comes with.

Editor said...

Hamish -- I get these comments all the time from one particular source. I used to delete them, but then I thought, "Why not?" So, now I go ahead and publish them. I can't imagine that even they believe the stuff they spew, but I am told they honestly stop right there.

Oh, well.. you know how it goes... people who only think they know everything really annoy those of us who actually do.

Will discuss modesty at later date.

cloudhand said...

Thank you for this.
... ALL of it.