Saturday, August 19, 2006



A personal note about seemingly hopeless situations.

On March 30th of this year I experienced what my cardiologist called a "massive" heart attack. Emergency surgical intervention was necessary to save my life, and as they prepared to do this, the doctor recorded in his notes that the likelihood of mortality was "high." Following surgery, the intensive care unit nurses informed me, "It is considered a miracle that you are alive." I was told that the damage was so severe, my life expectancy was being measured in weeks, not months.

Yesterday, I went to the hospital for a checkup. Apart from the artifact of the stent in my left artery, my EKG was normal. My cholesterol, which was 275 on discharge from hospital, was now absolutely spot on. Oxygen was 98% on room air.

Of course I am watching my diet, of course I am taking medicine, and I try to walk every day as I have been instructed. However, one factor--more than any other--has played a key role in what the doctors now concede is a very rapid and unprecedented recovery.

If you find yourself feeling hopeless about this or that medical issue, please write to me and describe your situation and I will send you something that helps where nothing else can.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 reader comments: