Wednesday, August 16, 2006


In July 1999, a Japanese research team accidentally located a 9th century Sanskrit manuscript of the Vimalakirti Nirdesa Sutra in the Potala at Lhasa. Having heard nothing since, I wonder if anyone knows what has become of this?

=====================================================


Ooops! Answered my own question. The work has been published in three volumes by Taisho University (for 13,000 Yen, plus shipping). Want to buy a set? Click here.

This is roughly $111.65, for three paperbacks in a slipcase. There are two ways to think about this. One, the Japanese exploited a Buddhist treasure, or two, at least the text is now available to a wide audience. As for me, I would love to have this (Vimalakirtinirdesa is a lifelong study for me), but I do not have $111.65.

I really respect Robert Thurman. The text of his English translation of the Vimalakirti-nirdesa-sutra is freely available on the Web, or if you like, you can purchase a copy of the published work in the conventional manner.




Stumble Upon Toolbar