Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Deborah Ghiselin Hudgins (1948-2010)

Please excuse me if I record a personal loss. My friend "Sam" passed away. We were young together, and sometimes we thought we would probably get married someday. When we didn't, this did not interfere with our friendship -- true friendship is something that came very naturally to her. When they wrote her obituary, I see they remarked on her gentleness, compassion, and sense of humor. She had all of that. She was a very kind and gracious person for the whole of her life.

She was also capable of great generosity. One of the fondest memories I have is when Sam surprised me by renting F. Scott Fitzgerald's old room for me at the Battery Park Hotel. She bought me a typewriter as a gift, and told me that I should be a writer. So, we spent some time that summer, lounging around in that setting, thinking grand thoughts and dreaming grand dreams.

And now, in summer, she has passed away.







Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 reader comments:

Drums of Dharma said...

Om Mani Padme Hum


Namo Buddha.

Anonymous said...

Om Ami Deva Hri

Palden said...

Right now I'm in Germany with HE Namkha Drime Rinpoche and Gyetrul Jigme Rinpoche. On August 19th we will do a Shitro Puja I can will her name there!
Om mani peme Hung!

Patricia said...

What a beautiful testiment to a beautiful life. May she rest in Potala
om mani padme hum