Sunday, April 25, 2010

The King of Aspirations: The Noble Aspiration for Excellent Conduct

I prostrate to the noble youthful Manjushri

I prostrate to all lions among humans,
As many as appear, excepting none,
In the three times in worlds of ten directions
Sincerely with my body, speech, and mind.

With the power of this prayer for excellent conduct,
I fully prostrate to all victors with
As many bodies as atoms in all realms
With all the victors right before my mind.

Upon one atom are as many buddhas
As atoms in the midst of bodhisattvas.
I thus imagine that victorious ones
Completely fill the entire dharma expanse.

With sounds from oceans of melodious traits
I extol the qualities of all the victors,
Whose oceans of praiseworthiness will never
Run dry, and praise all of the sugatas.

I make an offering to these victors of
The best of flowers and the finest garlands,
Cymbals and ointments, the best parasols,
The best of lamps, and incense the most fine.

I also make an offering to these victors
Of the best robes, the finest fragrances,
And powders in heaps equal to Mount Meru,
Arranged in the most sublime of displays.

I also imagine offering to all victors
That which is vast and unsurpassable.
I offer and bow to the victors with
The power of faith in excellent conduct.
Under the influence of desire, hatred,
And ignorance, I have committed wrongs
Using my body, speech, and also mind—
I confess each and every one of them.

And I rejoice in all that is the merit
Of all the victors and the buddhas’ children,
Of the self-buddhas, learners, and non-learners,
Of all the wanderers of the ten directions.

I request all those guardians who have
Wakened to buddhahood and found detachment—
The lamps of the worlds of the ten directions—
To turn the Wheel that cannot be surpassed.

With my palms joined, I supplicate all those
Who wish to demonstrate nirvana to stay
As many aeons as atoms in the realms
To aid and bring well-being to all wanderers.

I dedicate to enlightenment whatever
Slight merit I have gathered from prostrating,
And offering, confessing, and rejoicing,
Requesting, and from making supplications.

I offer to the buddhas of the past
And those who dwell in worlds in ten directions.
May those yet to appear fulfill their wishes
And swiftly awaken to enlightenment.
May every world in any of the ten
Directions become vast, completely pure,
And filled with bodhisattvas and with victors
Who’ve gone beneath the lordly Bodhi Tree.
May all the beings there are in ten directions
Be free of illness and be happy always.
May all the aims in Dharma of all beings
Be in harmony; may their hopes be fulfilled.

May I perform the conduct of awakening
And in all realms remember my past lives.
Upon my death and rebirth in all lives,
May I go forth and be fully renounced.

Following all the victors, may I train,
And bring excellent conduct to perfection.
May I act with pure, stainless discipline
That never lapses and is free of faults.

May I teach Dharma in every single language—
The language of the gods, the tongue of nagas,
The tongues of yakshas, kumbandhas, and humans,
And all the languages that beings speak.

May I be gentle, strive in paramitas,
And may I never forget bodhichitta.
May I completely purify all wrongs
Without exception that are obscurations.

Free from afflictions, karma, and the works
Of maras, may I act in every realm,
Like a lotus to which water does not cling,
Unhindered like the sun and moon in space.

I’ll act to fully quell the suffering
Of lower realms and bring all beings to joy.
I’ll act to benefit all beings throughout
The reaches of the realms and the directions.

I’ll work in harmony with beings’ conduct
And bring enlightened conduct to perfection.
I’ll teach the Dharma of this excellent conduct
And act in all the aeons of the future.

Always may I associate with those
Who act in harmony with my own conduct.
In body, speech, and mind may we behave
As one in conduct and in aspirations.

And may I always meet those spiritual friends
Who have the wish to bring me benefit
By teaching conduct that is excellent.
I’ll never do anything to disappoint.

I’ll always look directly at the victors,
Protectors in the midst of bodhisattvas,
And I will make vast offerings to them
In every future aeon, never discouraged.

I shall retain the Dharma of the victors,
Illumine everywhere awakened conduct,
And purify excellent conduct, too.
I shall act thus in every future aeon.

Cycling through all existences, may I
Gain merit and wisdom inexhaustible
And be a bottomless store of all means, prajñā,
Samadhi, emancipations, and good traits.

Upon one atom in as many realms
As atoms there are inconceivable
Buddhas surrounded by the bodhisattvas.
Beholding them, I’ll act for awakening.

Just so, in all directions, none excepted,
On a hair tip are oceans of the realms
Of oceans of the buddhas of three times—
I’ll enter these and act for oceans of aeons.

I’ll always enter in the buddhas’ speech,
Of which one tone has oceans of great traits,
The pure melodic tones of all buddhas
That are just as all beings are inclined.

I enter also through the strength of mind
Those tones of the speech inexhaustible
Of all victorious ones who do appear
In the three times and turn the Wheel of Dharma.
Through just one single instant I will enter
All of the aeons that are yet to come.
I’ll enter and act in all aeons of
The three times in a fraction of a second.

And in a single instant I shall view
The lions among humans of three times.
I’ll always enter their sphere through the power
Of the emancipation of illusions.

Upon a single atom I’ll produce
The arrays of all the realms of the three times.
In all directions thus, without exception,
I’ll enter the arrays of buddha realms.

I’ll go into the presence of all those
Who will be lamps of the world in the future,
Who will become enlightened, turn the Wheel,
And demonstrate nirvana’s final peace.

Through the power of miracles, swift everywhere;
The power of vehicles to every gate;
The power of conduct, every quality;
The power of love, pervasive everywhere;

The power of merit, virtue everywhere;
The power of pristine wisdom, free of attachment;
The powers of wisdom, means, and of samadhi,
I shall achieve the powers of awakening.

I’ll purify the power of karma fully,
Destroy forever the power of the afflictions,
Make powerless the maras’ powers, and
Perfect all powers of excellent conduct.

I’ll purify completely oceans of realms,
And liberate completely oceans of beings.
I will completely see the oceans of Dharma,
And totally realize the oceans of wisdom.

I’ll purify completely oceans of conduct,
Perfect completely oceans of aspirations,
Offer completely to the oceans of buddhas,
And act for oceans of aeons undiscouraged.

I shall awaken through excellent conduct
And perfect fully all without exception
The special aspirations of the victors
Of the three times for the awakened conduct.

I fully dedicate all of this virtue
That I may act comparably to him,
The wise, the finest son of all the buddhas
Who’s called Samantabhadra by his name.

Just as the Good Wise One makes dedications
For a pure body, pure speech, and pure mind,
For purity of conduct and pure realms,
Just so may I be comparable to him.

To perform excellent conduct, good in all,
I’ll act upon Manjushri’s aspirations.
Never discouraged, in all future aeons,
I’ll complete all these deeds without exception.

May I have conduct beyond any measure
And qualities, too, that cannot be measured.
Dwelling in conduct that’s immeasurable,
I’ll know their each and every emanation.

As far as to the ends of the blue sky,
As far as to the ends of sentient beings,
Until the end of karma and afflictions,
Thus far the ends are of my aspirations.

Though one might give the realms of ten directions
Adorned with precious jewelry to the victors,
Or give the best divine and human pleasures
For aeons equal to atoms in all realms,

If someone hears this king of dedications
One single time, develops faith, and feels
A longing for supreme enlightenment,
That is the most supreme, exalted merit.

Someone who makes this prayer for excellent conduct
Is one who will abandon lower realms,
Is one who will abandon harmful friends,
Is one who will see Amitabha soon.

They’ll gain well what they need, live easily;
They will be welcome in this human life.
Before a long time passes they themselves
Shall also be just like Samantabhadra.

If those who under the power of not knowing
Have done one of the five heinous misdeeds
Recite this prayer for excellent conduct,
It quickly will be fully purified.

They will have pristine wisdom, beauty, signs,
A good complexion, and good family.
Invincible to maras and non-Buddhists,
In all three worlds they will be given offerings.
They will soon go to the great Bodhi Tree.
Once there, they’ll sit to benefit all beings,
Defeat all maras and their hordes, awaken
To enlightenment, and turn the Wheel of Dharma.

If one should memorize or teach or write
This aspiration for excellent conduct,
Only the Buddha knows how that will ripen—
Don’t doubt that it’s supreme enlightenment.

The brave Manjushri knows things as they are,
As does in the same way Samantabhadra.
I fully dedicate all of these virtues
That I might train and follow their example.

All the victorious ones of the three times
Acclaim this dedication as supreme.
With this, then, I completely dedicate
All of this virtue to excellent conduct.

When I come to the moment of my death,
My obscurations all will be dispelled.
I shall see Amitabha right before me
And go to the realm of Sukhavati.

Once I have gone there, may these aspirations
All become manifest in their entirety.
I will fulfill them all without exception—
As long as worlds exist, I will help beings!

In that fine, joyous mandala of the Victor,
I’ll take birth in a beautiful, great lotus.
I also will receive a prophecy
Directly from the victor Amitabha.

When I’ve received the prophecy from him,
I will help many sentient beings in
The ten directions through my mental powers
With many billions of emanations.

May any little merit I have gathered
By thus aspiring for excellent conduct
Make all the virtuous aspirations of
All beings come true within a single instant.

Through the incomparable infinite merit
Thus gained through dedicating excellent conduct,
May beings engulfed in floods of suffering
Achieve the supreme realm of Amitabha!

May this supreme, great king of aspirations
Bring benefit to all infinite wanderers,
Fulfilling this text Samantabhadra adorns—
May all the places in lower realms be emptied!



Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 reader comments: